Already have a Username/Password for The Journal of Deliberative Mechanisms in Science?
Go to Login
Need a Username/Password?
Go to Registration
Registration and login are required to submit items online and to check the status of current submissions.
A) Guidelines for articles
All the manuscripts should be sent through the Electronic platform where the Journal is based (Open Journal System). Submitted articles must be original and unpublished, and should not be under consideration for publication in other journals. DEMESCI will not publish more than one article of the same authorship or co-authorship within 24 months period.Articles may be written in Spanish, English, Catalan, and German.
Manuscripts not fulfilling these presentation norms might be rejected.
Structure of the article:
Each original should have:
- Title of the paper.
- Abstract and title of the article in the language of the document.
- The key words in the language of the article.
- Text of the article.
- Notes (that will go at the end of the document with the endnote format, before the reference list).
- The tables and figures in a different document (if any). In the case of submitting images. It is necessary to send them in jpeg format with the highest quality.
Style: All manuscripts should followAPA style (Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 6th edition, 2009) both in the body of the article and the Reference list. Below are some examples of referencing:
- Lareau, A. (2004).Unequal childhoods: Class, race, and family life. Berkeley, CA: University of California.
- Meyer, D. S. (1999). How the Cold War Was Really Won: The Effects of the Antinuclear Movements of the 1980s. In M. Giugni, D. McAdam, & Ch. Tilly (Eds.),How Social Movements Matter (pp. 182-203). Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Lareau, A., & Horvat, E. M. (1999). Moments of social inclusion and exclusion: Race, class, and cultural capital in family-school relationships. Sociology of Education, 72, 37-53.
Length: All the submissions should have between6.000 and8.000 words and doubled-space throughout, including all materials. The files should be submitted in MS Word, WordPerfect o RTF format.
Authorship: Candidates should avoid any clue about the authorship of the work submitted especially in the first pages of the manuscript. Name(s) of the author(s) must not appear in the manuscript. Information about the authors is included in the Electronic platform but not inside the sent manuscript file for review.
Abstract and Keywords: All manuscripts should include a 100- to 200-word abstract. Between three and five keywords defining the focus of the article are also required.
Running title: A running title of less than 25 characters should be included on the title page.
Notes: Try to avoid notes whenever possible. All notes should be endnotes and not as footnote in order to not distract the reader.
Tables and figures: Outlines, figures, graphs and tables will have a short explanatory title and will be sent on a separated document.
Language: Please, be aware that regardless of the language you choose for your article or review, the language must be well used and the paper well written. It is responsibility of the authors to ensure that the manuscript that is submitted meets the language standards that are required for publication in a scientific journal. For doing so, authors may use language editing services.
When a manuscript is submitted, the editors screen the manuscripts to make sure that all the files have no identifying information on the authors and that the article has not been published elsewhere. Then, in a time period of 15 days maximum from the date of reception of the article, the journal editor will assign it to two external evaluators that will carry out a blind review of the article (double blind peer review). Over the review period of the article, both the names of the authors as well as the evaluators’ will be anonymous.
Peer reviewers are identified by editors of the journal, who are experienced researchers in their fields. The most suitable reviewers are selected according to the submission received and the reviewer’s expertise; also a network of scholars can collaborate as reviewers in our journal.
The Editors are in charge of exploring the reviewer’s reports and exchange opinions with some members of the editorial board in order to make a proper decision whether an article could be publishable or not. The decision is reached through the reviewers’ reports.
Editors check all the reviews done and contrast the reviewers’ notes with the content of the article before sending decisions and reviewers comment to authors. If reviewers do not carry out their duty correctly, editors will delete them from the list and send the article to another reviewer or to a member of the editorial board to carry out a fast-track review of the manuscript.
In cases where Editors have doubts after the process of review, they double-check the evaluation with some members of the Editorial board, according to their field of specialization, in order to reach an agreement and a decision on the manuscript.
The result of the evaluation will be send to the authors in amaximum period of 3 months from the date of reception.
B) Guidelines for book reviews and reviews of doctoral dissertations
Preference will be given to reviews of relevant works published no more than two years before the review date. The following criteria will be used to assess the submissions:
- Specialization and prestige of the author or authors and of the publishing house.
- Scientific criteria employed by the publisher.
- Contemporary relevance of the topic in the international scientific community
- Update of the topic and year of publication.
- Reviews of popular books, text books and instructional materials are not accepted.
- About thereview, its quality will be also evaluated, and the scientific specialization of the author(s) of the review or work will be considered. It should never be longer than700 words. The review should begin with the bibliographical details of the book (name and surname of the author, year of publication, title of the book, place of publication, and publishers' name). The author (s) name (s) should appear at the end of the text.
Books for review should be sent to Francesc Rodríguez, York University, Science & Technology Studies, 4700 Keele Street, 218 Bethune College. M3J 1P3. Toronto (Canada).
The opinions and contents of the manuscript published in DEMESCI are under exclusive responsibility of the author(s). Therefore, authors are responsible for obtaining copyright permission for reproducing the material published in other publications".
The authors submitting a manuscript to DEMESCI can include their profile information already available on ORCID. Those who do not have an ORCID login may register online from this webpage: http://www.orcid.org
This work is licensed under aCreative Commons Attribution 3.0 License(CC BY 3.0).
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
DEMESCI never releases personal identifiable information about you to any third party.
DEMESCI. International Journal of Deliberative Mechanisms in Science | ISSN: 2014-3672
Legal Deposit: B.34283-2012